WPDN is welcoming volunteers! Volunteers who would like to work in the classrooms are welcome to volunteer between the hours of 9:00am – 1:00pm or from 2:30pm – 5:00pm. Please see below for volunteer requirements if you are interested in working in the classrooms.
- All volunteers must be age 16 and over to volunteer on site. Volunteers younger than 16 are welcome to volunteer with WPDN provided they have a chaperone on site at all times.
- Effective March 1, 2023, all volunteers (and chaperones) must submit a request for a criminal history check through the State of Florida Criminal History Check which can be found here at the expense of the volunteer ($25). Results of the criminal history check must be provided to WPDN prior to any volunteers and chaperones being on site.
- Any volunteers who volunteer more than 10 hours in a month must start the mandated Florida Department of Children and Families child care training at the expense of the volunteer. These training courses can be completed online or in person. An account with DCF can be created here.
Our volunteers often spend their time:
- Reading – Read stories to help children learn to read and prepare for a life of learning.
- Art – Help children explore various mediums and methods and develop their artistic talents.
- Drama – Work with our students to act out simple stories and help them develop early writing skills.
- Music – Help children develop a love for music by sharing various instruments, song and dance activities.
- Sports – Teach the value of teamwork and cooperation while helping students build motor skills and coordination.
Volunteers who are interested in supporting WPDN other than being in the classrooms can do so in a variety of ways: putting together a food or supply drive (we have an Amazon wish list!), sanitizing toys and classroom materials (tables, chairs, cots, etc.) or by helping out with additional tasks around the school such as working in our garden or in our library. WPDN also welcomes groups who are interested in sponsoring a special event for the school, or who are looking to do service projects after hours.
If volunteering with WPDN interests you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the school to schedule a time for a volunteer interview and orientation, which takes approximately 30 minutes. We look forward to your support of our organization!